This site was created as a place to publish information about
Zero Trust and
Software Supply Chain Defense.
Frederick Kautz is an exceptional leader with an extensive background in the Open Source Community. With over a decade of experience in Cloud-Native environments, Frederick’s expertise lies in security, networking, and storage domains. He has co-authored several publications, including the Cloud Native Security White Paper and Solving the Bottom Turtle. As a Co-Chair for KubeCon + CloudNativeCon and a member of the SPIFFE Steering Committee, Frederick is at the forefront of the industry, providing Zero Trust Workload Identity to compute workloads and resources.
Frederick has co-created multiple innovative projects, most recently OmniBOR and its Golang and Rust reference implementations. Frederick is also a co-founder and maintainer of Network Service Mesh. His work in Network Service Mesh has helped to modernize network infrastructure and collaborate with a large and diverse group of companies and individuals. Frederick’s prior work defined the Cloud-Native Network Function, which significantly influences multiple significant collaborations, including CNCF, LFN, IEEE, and the GSMA.
Additionally, Frederick is a strong advocate for empowering patients' ownership of their health data and democratizing healthcare research. He has pioneered Federated Learning and privacy-preserving technologies, which enable multiple organizations and patients to collaborate without exposing sensitive data to each other.
Frederick co-chairs the CTA ANSI/CTA-2114: Mitigating Cybersecurity Threats in ML-Based Systems Committee. He leads multiple cross-organizational teams to develop industry standards for security and privacy in Machine Learning.
A summarized set of significant contributions include:
- Co-Chair KubeCon + CloudNativeCon NA 2022, EU 2023, NA 2023
- Co-Author of CNCF Cloud Native Security White Paper
- SPIFFE Steering Committee Member
- OmniBOR Co-Creator and maintainer
- NSM Co-Creator and Committer
- Co-Author of Solving the Bottom Turtle https://spiffe.io/book/
- X-Factor CNF Methodology author
- Significant contributions to CNF Best Practices
- CNCF TUG and CNF WG Contributor
- Former LFPH Technical Advisory Committee Member
- Track Co-Chair of KubeCon NA 2020 Networking Track
- Program Committee of Networking Track for KubeCon EU and NA 2020
- Program Committee Member of Open Networking Summit 2019 NA & EU
- Program Advisory Group Members of Edge Computing World 2019